Question:

From Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA:

I have reactive hypoglycemia and absence seizures, and have had difficulty regulating my blood sugar since I was a child. I frequently pass out or if not completely unconscious, feel as though I maneuvering through a dense fog in my brain. Is this what the doctors mean by "absence seizures"?

Answer:

Absence seizures are a form of seizure in which the brain switches off temporarily, in that you are not aware of what is happening. This is not uncommon in children, and often can be well controlled with medication. It is best to make sure your doctor is well aware of what you need to try and prevent these absences from occurring. Sometimes there are triggers to the absences, and these triggers can be hypoglycaemia. It is therefore important to try and get as good control as possible and avoid too many hypos. Your doctor, or a diabetes team, should be able to help.

JS