From Connecticut, USA:

I was told my blood glucose was 167 mg/dl [9.3 mmol/L] and that it needed to drop it 30 points. I have been watching everything I eat, have stopped all sweets and my random readings at home are all are under 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. I don't know what readings are acceptable, and I don't know the right times to check my levels.

For most people without diabetes, fasting blood sugars will be no higher than 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]and a random, after eating blood sugar no higher than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]

In managing diabetes, we know that these "normal" blood sugars are almost impossible to achieve day in day out. Research has shown us that "target" ranges of blood sugars (fasting blood sugar less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], random blood sugar one hour after a meal less than 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L] ) can help you maintain good health and hopefully avoid problems from blood sugar down the road.

There are many new medicines available now to help people achieve target numbers when healthy eating and exercise are not enough to balance your "pooped-out pancreas." Type 2 diabetes is progressive and changes will occur no matter how diligent you are with food and exercise. Medicines and insulins are not your enemy, high blood sugar is. I encourage you to learn all you can to keep your blood sugars as close to target as possible. Don't ever forget that perfect blood sugars are not possible when you have diabetes, but target levels are.