From Hays, Kansas, USA:

I am almost 30 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13, and I haven't been in very good control for the past few years, but I am ready to change things. I am concerned with future complications since I have not been faithful. At what age do problems start to occur? What are some warning signs to watch for?

The microvascular complications of diabetes (kidney, eyes, nerves) are associated with chronicity and level of blood sugar control. A duration over ten years is long enough to have problems from the complications of diabetes.

You need to be seen three to four times a year by your diabetes physician. You need a dilated eye exam at least yearly. You also need to have your cholesterol level and protein excretion determined in your urine. When you have your periodic visits with your doctor, I imagine you will have a hemoglobin A1c test performed. This test correlates very well with risk of complications.