Question:

From Hays, Kansas, USA:

I am almost 30 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since I was 13, and I haven't been in very good control for the past few years, but I am ready to change things. I am concerned with future complications since I have not been faithful. At what age do problems start to occur? What are some warning signs to watch for?

Answer:

The microvascular complications of diabetes (kidney, eyes, nerves) are associated with chronicity and level of blood sugar control. A duration over ten years is long enough to have problems from the complications of diabetes.

You need to be seen three to four times a year by your diabetes physician. You need a dilated eye exam at least yearly. You also need to have your cholesterol level and protein excretion determined in your urine. When you have your periodic visits with your doctor, I imagine you will have a hemoglobin A1c test performed. This test correlates very well with risk of complications.

DTQ-20010622155009A