Question:

From California, USA:

Recently, I was out in the sun from 11 am until 5 pm. I got a really bad sunburn, and later that night, I got a horrible headache and I felt sick to my stomach. This has never happened to me before and every summer I practically live outside in the heat. My mom thinks it may have had something to do with my diabetes. Is that possible?

Answer:

The symptoms that you experienced are not uncommon for people with sunburn and excess sun-exposure. These are likely a consequence of dehydration. If you have diabetes, the symptoms can be worsened by the dehydration that can accompany higher blood glucose. The symptoms are not classic of diabetes in and of itself.