Question:

From Des Moines, Iowa, USA:

My 35 year old friend (5 feet 11 inches, 385 pounds) has just been told he has type 2 diabetes, and drinks, smokes, and gets little exercise. What are his odds? I plan to show him your answer, in an effort to help him.

Answer:

It's wonderful that you are concerned for your friend, but giving odds on his future is not possible. Rather, I would recommend that you support him by learning all he can about diabetes management today. He might be afraid of the old myths such as, you'll never eat good food again, you'll give up your life to have diabetes. These old beliefs keep many people away from taking charge of their diabetes and then the odds are rarely in their favor.

There are many diabetes education programs in your area. Your friend can call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4 to find someone in the area. It would show great support if you attended with your friend and learned all that has changed about diabetes management in 2001! A good life and diabetes can be a packaged deal.

KS

Posted to Behavior