Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

My father has diabetes and takes Glucophage [metformin]. We want to know what role emotions (anger, stress) play in diabetes. Today, my father's' blood sugar was high all evening (over 200 mg/dl [11.1mmol/L]).

Answer:

You have asked a good question about the impact of stress on blood sugars. It is common for people to notice a change in blood sugars, either higher or lower, when experiencing stress. Our bodies respond with hormones to counteract the stress, and often sugar is released for more energy during that time. If a person has diabetes, they often aren't able to make the necessary insulin quick enough, or at all, to counterbalance this extra boost of sugar. The blood sugars you list are not uncommon ones that we see in our patients. The important thing to remember is that stress causing increased blood sugars is usually a short term, occasional occurrence. If blood sugars stay in this range more regularly, a change in medicine management may be appropriate.

Tracking the effects of stress on blood sugars a few times will give your father a good view of how his body responds.

KS

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Type 2