From Youngstown, Ohio, USA:

I am having difficulty dealing with my child's oppositional behaviors towards adherence to his treatment (such as dinner time situations of food intake). Would you please list some available resources to help?

Three of the best books to help parents learn ways to help their children live with diabetes is The Ten Keys to Helping Your Child Grow Up With Diabetes by Timothy Wysocki, Ph.D. Two other books that might be helpful are: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin, and American Diabetes Association: Guide to Raising a Child with Diabetes by Linda Siminerio and Jean Betschart.

[Editor's comment: You do not say how old your son is, how long he has been diagnosed, or whether or not he is being followed by a diabetes team (consisting of at least a pediatric endocrinologist, a nurse educator, a dietitian, and a mental health/behavioral specialist) experienced in the care and treatment of children with diabetes. There are many factors that may be causing your son's behaviors, which cannot be sorted out without a careful assessment of the problems. I urge you to meet as soon as possible with your's son's diabetes team if he has one, and, if he doesn't, to find one as soon as possible. These types of problems only get worse over time and need to be "nipped in the bud" before it's too late. SS]

Posted to Behavior