Question:

From Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA:

Over the last three months, my three and a half year old son has frequently had an unexplained fever for several days with numerous test not resulting in a diagnosis. I'm at my wits end, and I am wondering if hypoglycemia could be the cause, but it doesn't look like that is the answer either. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Fever without a source is a difficult diagnostic dilemma for pediatricians. Hypoglycemia would not be a common reason to explain it. I would suggest talking with your son's pediatrician and seeking consultation with a pediatric infectious disease specialist if your son continues to have problems.