Question:

From Cameron Park, California, USA:

I currently have mild type 2 diabetes, and my fasting blood sugars are 95-130 mg/dl [5.3-7.2 mmol/L] (the higher readings generally occur when I either eat a very late dinner, shortly before retiring, or when I have cold or flu symptoms). Could late meals or illness cause higher readings? Also, short fasts (five to six hours) produce a lower reading then a longer fast (eight or more). Is there any reason for this situation?

Answer:

You have brought up an interesting and very common observation seen in type 2 diabetes. Eating stimulates the production of insulin, and in someone with type 2 diabetes, this production is typically slower than desired resulting often in insufficient insulin production. During the night or a fast, small amounts of insulin are produced to balance with the sugar being released from the liver. Again, in type 2 diabetes, the amount of insulin is often not enough to balance with this sugar thus producing a higher fasting blood sugar after a long fast.

There are medicines available to address both issues: Glucophage [metformin] for the long fast and Prandin [repaglinide ] or Starlix [nateglinide] for increasing the amount and speeding up the meal related insulin boost. If you're not currently taking medicines, you might want to discuss all theses possibilities with your physician.

KS