From Queens, New York, USA:

I am currently taking Glucophage to control my type 2 diabetes. I am 60 years old and have no heart problems or high blood pressure. Recently I became extremely short of breath and was thought to have congestive heart failure. After taking a diuretic and losing almost 20 pounds of fluid I feel fine. EKG and stress tests came back normal. Could my diabetes have caused this fluid retention? Is this just an early warning sign to cut back on salt and watch my intake of fluids?

Based upon the scarce information you report in your letter, I think neither your diabetes nor Glucophage [metformin] would have been the responsible of your sudden development of CHF.

Salt is involved in the pathogenesis of fluid retention and nowadays all Western populations are generally advised to cut the daily intake, which is on average higher than needed.