From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

I am 41 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five years ago (while I was pregnant), and I have kept excellent control of my sugars, almost since day one. During the last few weeks, I have noticed that my big toe nails nails have turned purple, even though I cannot recall sustaining an injury. What is causing this? What can I do about it?

I would need additional facts before I can tell you some possibilities. For instance, is it only on the big toes? Has the color change been gradual or did it appear overnight? Is it associated with pain? Are there actual changes in the nails such as thickening? If it is only on the big toes without other problems, I don't think it is likely to be serious. However, you should show your physician these changes to be sure.