From the USA:

My teenage daughter has had very high blood sugars and high A1c's (in the 12% range) for the last three years. I know we have issues to deal with, but why doesn't she show signs of being sick? She has been to the hospital for almost-ketoacidosis about twice per year, but aside from that, she is not noticeably in poor health. Why wouldn't I see signs of, well, anything?

That's just the problem -- glucose, blood pressure, cholesterol all are the same. High numbers all cause damage, but you can't see or feel it most of the time. It just damages the blood vessels and eventually one falls apart.

There is no doubt that glucose level resulting in hemoglobin A1c's in the 12% range are damaging to vessels. The risk for eye, kidney and nerve damage is very real. Likewise, the risk to damage to the coronary arteries in the heart is very real.

You have hit on the problem with teens -- any health related issue, seat belts, drinking and driving -- it won't happen to me! It is very hard sometimes to get through. Get help as soon as you can -- believe me, the risk is very great!

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA