Question:

From Canada:

I'm 16, have had type 1 diabetes since age three, and use an insulin pump, but I have problems with anxiety and depression so my sugars are currently not in good control. I have been taking Celexa for the past few months, but it has not helped the anxiety. My doctor has recommended that I switch to Paxil, but I have heard that it can cause complications in blood sugar control. Is this true? If so, what can I do to overcome them?

Answer:

Sometimes patients can have what is know as an "anxious depression" which can be treated and improved with the correct medication. Have you consulted your physician about perhaps using a combination of anti-anxiety agents and anti-depressants? Celexa is said to have few side effects, but it may not be the very best match for your situation. Paxil has had positive effects on some of my clients but there are many anti-depressants to choose from. Don't give up until you find the right match for your condition.

CMB

[Editor's comment: Congratulations for getting help to manage your anxiety and depression. SS]

Posted to Other Medications