Question:

From Chula Vista, California, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago which is now treated with Actos [pioglitazone], and I am concerned because my vision seems to be blurry, and I have to blink a few times so that it is clear. I have seen my doctor who says not to worry. Is this normal?

Answer:

For the first months after the initial diagnosis of diabetes, it is common to have blurry vision that lasts until metabolic control is restored. It is due to the change in the refractory capacity of the lens of the eye secondary to acute hyperglycemia and has no chronic effect. Visual capacity usually returns to what it was before diabetes was diagnosed.