Question:

From Strafford, New Hampshire, USA:

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes since age two and is now on an insulin pump (and we love it), but as summer is here and she is playing soccer (and will not be held back), we have had some tape issues (perspiration, etc). Our pediatric endocrinologist mentioned an IV prep pad used by hospitals for overly sweaty patients, called All Care. Do you have any idea as to a possible source?

Answer:

I've had some patients use antiperspirant spray under the tape. I like Mastisol and Detachol, both of which are available in drug stores. The Masticol reallysticks and requires the Detachol to get off. Here in the humid South, the boys play football and even four straight hours of basketball in a hot gym with success.

[Editor's comment: See Products Available to help keep the infusion set on our skin at the Insulin Pumpers web site. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps