Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I weigh over 300 pounds and had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage at almost 20 weeks gestation even though I lost weight. I am now 16 weeks pregnant, have gestational diabetes again, and I am now terrified of following the 2200 calorie diet, for fear that I will lose weight and hurt the baby. Are 2200 calories enough for a woman my size? Could losing weight have caused my baby to die?

Answer:

Losing weight did not cause the loss. Someone of your size will be on a diet to maintain your weight, but hopefully not lead to any weight gain during the pregnancy. If you are having hyperglycemia now, then you most likely have type 2, not gestational diabetes. You may need evaluation and treatment when you are not pregnant.

Posted to Family Planning and Type 2