Question:

From Garland, Texas, USA:

I just find out that I'm having a baby, I have diabetes, and I know my blood sugars are high because I should have been taking something for it, but I didn't. I'm scared that my baby won't make it, and I guess I need to know what to eat so I don't make my blood sugar go up. What can I do until I go to the doctor?

Answer:

The best thing for you to do is to see your doctor immediately. If you can check your own blood sugar, that will be helpful. Do not eat anything with simple sugars (candy, soda, sweetened cereals). Stick to proteins (fish, beef or chicken). You can also eat bread and pasta (noodles) in small amounts.

Posted to Family Planning