From New York, New York, USA:

My father says that people with diabetes have fruity mouth odors. Is this true? Are there any odors, from the breath or skin, that are associated with diabetes?

When diabetes is not in control, the body produces ketones which can make the breath smell like pear-drops. I guess that's what he means.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear if you meant that your dad was saying all, or some, people with diabetes have a mouth odor.

Since not all people with diabetes are out-of-control, it's not correct to state that all people with diabetes have an unusual mouth odor; however, it would be correct to say that some people who have out-of-control diabetes, might have an unusual mouth odor (which is from exhaled ketones, as explained by Dr. Robertson). WWQ]