Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

My father says that people with diabetes have fruity mouth odors. Is this true? Are there any odors, from the breath or skin, that are associated with diabetes?

Answer:

When diabetes is not in control, the body produces ketones which can make the breath smell like pear-drops. I guess that's what he means.

[Editor's comment: It's not clear if you meant that your dad was saying all, or some, people with diabetes have a mouth odor.

Since not all people with diabetes are out-of-control, it's not correct to state that all people with diabetes have an unusual mouth odor; however, it would be correct to say that some people who have out-of-control diabetes, might have an unusual mouth odor (which is from exhaled ketones, as explained by Dr. Robertson). WWQ]