Question:

From Indianapolis, Indiana, USA:

I am 63 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 28 years, and I have recently developed "spotted" skin, like liver spots on my lower legs. The hair has been gone on the legs for some time, and they were always very white and shiny smooth until recently developed spots. What could this be? I have neuropathy and am taking a prescription medication for it. Could it be the medication causing this?

Answer:

Unfortunately, this site is not helpful in identifying clinical findings because I cannot see your skin. There are a number of skin manifestations of diabetes. This may be one of them. I would recommend seeing your physician and have that person verify this.