Question:

From Double Springs, Alabama, USA:

Why can't someone invent a blood sugar monitor that is like the pump in that the patient would change sites and simple push a button that would monitor sugar levels? While something like this would be a costly monitor, it would be a worthwhile invention. it would be so much easier than repeated fingersticks!

Has anyone thought of this? If they can invent the pump, why not a monitor that works along the same line?

Answer:

Good question! I think that some of the pump companies are actually pursuing a similar technology to your questions. MiniMed's CGMS system is the closest that I know of. You can read more about it at The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System and at MiniMed's website.

[Editor's comment: There are several companies working on this. See: Non-invasive Blood Glucose Meters. SS]