From Canandaigua, New York, USA:

My mom, who is a senior citizen and has had type 1 for 30 years, used to take beef insulin and is not doing well with the new synthetic insulin (long and short-acting shots). She is having memory problems of late and reverts to her old way of caring for herself. She is having frequent reactions and recently my dad has come home to find her passed out on the floor. (Also, she is the only driver and is not always with it.) My parents live in their own home and refuse to move to an assisted living complex. My dad is blind due to macular degeneration, and he is the person who monitors my mom. I am wondering what kind of support services are available to them where they live (in Florida).

My mom is belligerent and resents any help or interference, and my dad does not want to give up his independence. My siblings and I have spoken to them, but nothing has changed for the better. What suggestions do you have and what agencies might be helpful?

It sounds like a tough situation. My only recommendation would be to contact their local diabetes education team. You might find them locally through her physician or hospital. They can evaluate your parents' situation and make some recommendations. There are limited sight tools available. However, the frequent lows is the most pressing issue. I would have her contact her physician to address this. This problem can be addressed through changes in the insulin dosing, frequent monitoring (which I recognize is a problem), and a predictable routine and diet.