From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for about three years, and I was told that I would have no problem with caffeine. However, as of four months ago, my waking blood sugar will be 147 mg/dl 8.2 [mmol/L], and after my Glucophage and a cup of coffee black or strong tea, my blood sugar will be 247 mg/dl [13.7 mmol/L]. What happened? How do I wake up in the morning?

I am not sure that the beverage is causing the problem. Rather, type 2 diabetes has a plot line. The disease does not necessarily stay the same over time. It may be that you need a larger dose of Glucophage [metformin] to address these elevated blood sugars.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2