Question:

From Schaumburg, Illinois, USA:

My husband and four year old son have had diabetes for two years, and are otherwise very healthy. I see some products and activities which warn that they may pose a risk to those with weakened immune systems. Just yesterday, I read an article that many bacteria in public swimming pools may be harmful to those with weakened immune systems. Are people with type 1 diabetes considered to have weakened immune systems?

Answer:

People with type 1 diabetes have altered immune systems. The general term weakened immune systems is not appropriate to use in relation to type 1 diabetes. As people age with diabetes, they are more prone to certain infections such as foot infections, but this is secondary to other complications of diabetes such as blood vessel disease and nerve disease.

The term weakened immune system more appropriately applies to people with AIDS, on cancer chemotherapy, on chronic steroid use for asthma or arthritis, etc. Public swimming pools should pose no increased risk to people with diabetes.