Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I have type 1 diabetes and am planning on conceiving my second child. When I had my first child, I was taking NPH with Regular and had no problems, but now I am taking NPH with Humalog and my doctor wants to try Lantus instead of NPH. I'm a little worried about being on different medication from the first pregnancy. Are Humalog and Lantus safe for the unborn baby and for nursing?

Answer:

Neither one of these types of insulin have been formerly investigated in pregnancy. I have used Humalog in pregnancy with good results and no bad outcomes which is probably the general experience. There was a letter published in The New England Journal of Medicine that expressed concern about Humalog, because of a possible increased risk of fetal abnormalities. However, this was not a scientific study, and I have heard nothing further.

I have not used Lantus (insulin glargine) and have had not patients yet who came to me already on this type of insulin. If you want to minimize your risks, I would suggest using R and N during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy and then switching over to the other types. There should be no problems with breast feeding.

Posted to Family Planning