Question:

West Virginia, USA:

I am 46 years. old, have had type 2 diabetes for about eight years, and have recently been having a lot of pain in the bottom of my feet. It is very severe at times, most usually at night. Could this be a complication of diabetes?

Answer:

These sound like symptoms consistent with peripheral neuropathy from diabetes. However, there are additional issues which need to be evaluated by your physician. If it turns out to be neuropathy, there are several medications which help with the discomfort and the restoration of normal sleep. In addition, good blood sugar control can have a beneficial effect on the pain.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetes and Foot Pain (at the Diabetes Monitor) for some additional thoughts about the management of painful diabetic neuropathy. WWQ]