From Tinton Falls, New Jersey, USA:

I am on Glucovance, and, for about three months (since I started this medication), I have had a rash which I suspect is due to this medication but which my doctor says its unlikely. The rash comes and goes, and I've been taking a steroid, but it keeps reappearing on my trunk, upper arms, neck and breast. Oh, and it's very, very itchy!

I have to say that allergic reactions to the glyburide [a pill for type 2 diabetes] and Glucophage [metformin] are uncommon. Still, it may be possible. If this remains a question, your physician could use other drugs, leave you off the Glucovance, and see if the rash improves.

This does not prove the rash was from the medicine, as it may have improved on its own. However, you can be re-challenged with the medication, and if the rash reappears, this is good clinical proof you are allergic to one of the drugs in the Glucovance combination. These questions are fairly common in clinical practice.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes