Question:

From Randfontein, South Africa:

I have a 21 year old daughter with diabetes, and I heard about a sheet to put over your mattress that will help to give you a hint before you go into a coma. Is are there one? Where can I get one?

Answer:

I think that the device you read about must have been an alarm system for urinary incontinence which can accompany excessive glucosuria. Within a year, there is likely to be one or more much more sophisticated devices available (e.g., the GlucoWatch).

In the meantime of course the best way to avoid diabetic coma is by careful monitoring of blood sugars with appropriate adjustment of insulin, diet and exercise.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Does not exist. Perhaps you are talking about the new Biographer GlucoWatch that sounds an alarm when sugars dip too low. Talk to your diabetes team and they may provide some more information.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

Two years ago my wife and I tested the Therm-Medic Therapy Mat. We got it at no cost in hopes that we would recommend it. It supposedly was "a safe new therapy that significantly lowers overall blood sugar levels for most type 2 sufferers." It supposedly has 26 secret ingredients implanted in the sheet in a sort of mud.

It was offered by Greg Dotkin of Swift Media Group in Las Vegas. There was a Web site at the time, http://www.therm-medic.com/, but it no longer responds. Their phone number is still apparently 888-460-0729.

We were not able to see any improvement in our blood glucose levels. I am not ready to say it was a scam, because Greg sounded sincere and didn't charge us a penny. However, at the time. many others were calling it a scam.

I don't know of any other diabetic sheets.

RM