Question:

From Glendale, Arizona, USA:

I am going to Mexico City on a mission trip with my church. Do I need any special identification saying that I have diabetes? Do I need any special information to take my insulin and syringes across the border?

Answer:

It is exceedingly unlikely that your possession of insulin, syringes and testing materials will be misinterpreted by Mexican customs especially if you are with a church group. Nonetheless, a brief note from your doctor to say that you have diabetes would provide a final assurance.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Just to be sure, I would say to bring a prescription for your needles and insulin. Be sure to keep them with you and not in your luggage. Drink plenty of water (bottled) and take it easy, if possible. You may be doing more activity and with the heat, may run into more lows than usual.

LSF

[Editor's comment: If you're going to be gone a long time, bring a Traveling Medical Record with you. WWQ]

Posted to Traveling