Question:

From Troy, Michigan, USA:

Two months ago, my 65 year old mother, who is now in China and has had diabetes for about three years, went to the hospital because of frequent vomiting. The doctor said that it was stomach problems and treated it like that, but she became worse, developed a high fever, and now her whole body is swollen. The doctor couldn't find a cause and said it was the symptoms of diabetes at a very late stage. They are just trying all different medicines, but they don't work. Do you know anything similar to this? Could you please give us some advice?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your mother. I am afraid I am not able to help a great deal. I have no knowledge of what has been tried or why she is sick. Sometimes blood sugars rise because of another problem such as infection, malignancy, or heart attack. These other illnesses stress the body and raise the blood sugars. It may be that there is another condition bringing out the high sugars of diabetes.