Question:

From the United Kingdom:

Why would someone who has been quite well controlled for 17 years suddenly seem to be well out of control? What should I do?

Answer:

There are multiple reasons for this problem. You need to sit down with your diabetes care team and discuss issues related to activity, diet, and medication. Your medical history is important, especially if you have any intercurrent illness. Finally, make sure your tools for monitoring are working normally. Have your sugars verified by having a hemoglobin A1c performed?

[Editor's comment: From your questiom, I do not know whther you have typeá1 or typeá2 diabetes. If you have type 2, your diabetes may have progressed. In either case, you should have a new treatment devised as Dr Lane has suggested. SS]