Question:

From Montreal, Quebec, Canada:

I am 23 years old, have had epilepsy (on medication) and high blood pressure (on medication), I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome over a year ago, and have had fasting glucoses of 4.5 mmol/L [81 mg/dl]. However, approximately six months ago, I had a glucose tolerance test done and the highest my blood sugar reached was 6.9 mmol/L [124 mg/dl] (100g glucose ingested), and I also have trace amounts of protein in my urine.

Is this hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia or hyperinsulinism? Do I have diabetes or pre-diabetes?

Answer:

Your blood sugar results indicate you do not have diabetes. However, the condition referred to as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is associated with insulin resistance and can be a forerunner of type 2 diabetes.

I am not sure what the significance of the protein in your urine is. Note that there are a number of other conditions which can cause proteinuria, which you need to discuss with your physician. If your seizure disorder is not well controlled, this may be another aggravating factor. Clearly, diabetes, obesity, and hypertension cluster in individuals with PCOS. Treatment should be directed at weight loss, blood pressure control, and screening for diabetes.