Question:

From Greensboro, North Carolina, USA:

I am a 20 year old college student with type 1 diabetes who has recently been experiencing swelling in my ankle and went to the campus health center where they basically told me nothing. My ankle doesn't hurt, and I do not experience any pain, but it is noticeably bigger compared to my other ankle. Should this be something to be concerned with?

Answer:

If the ankle continues to swell, you need to look into other causes, such as the possibility of a blood clot in the veins of your legs. This can be screened with a noninvasive test in a rapid fashion. Other issues might include the status of your kidneys and any activity-related problems. I would follow this up and not let it continue without resolution.

Posted to Aches and Pains