From San Diego, California, USA:

I am Caucasian, 39 years old, 6 feet 3 inches tall, weigh 252 pounds. and I know I have sugar in my urine. I also suffer headaches, night time leg cramps, which seem to go away if I take zinc and magnesium. I crave sweets daily, and I can go all day just eating candy. My dad had diabetes treated with insulin, and later he went on dialysis. I have a terrible fear of needles, and I have not seen to a doctor in six years. Any suggestions?

I can certainly understand, after watching your father's experience, not wanting to find out if you have diabetes. The complications that happened to your father is not the journey expected for people today with diabetes if all our tools are put to use early. That is the secret. Finding out your have diabetes as early as possible and working aggressively to bring blood sugars into normal range.

I can also understand your fear of needles, but these have improved greatly over the years too. Very short, very sharp, attached to a pen holding insulin to make it as convenient as possible to manage blood sugars.

For type 2 diabetes, we also have new pills that help use the insulin you make and also help you make a little more. That doesn't mean people don't take insulin down the road, but there are much better tools all around for helping people with diabetes live a full, enjoyable life while having diabetes.

I hope you will reconsider and get your blood sugar tested soon. The fear of the unknown is sometimes harder to live with than the known.