Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have type 1 diabetes, have spent most of my life in and out of the ICU, and almost died several times from DKA. I have felt a prisoner in my body my entire life, and I was never able to attend school. was also in a severe car accident and now have a bulged disk in my back. Are there any programs that offer grants or scholarships to people with diabetes who have suffered as much as I have and want to study from home? (31 Aug 2001)

2. I have heard about service dogs being used to alert people diabetes prone to nighttime or waking hypoglycaemia. Where can I find out more about this? (31 Aug 2001)

3. Are there any organizations or businesses will donate a computer to a child who has diabetes and misses many days of school because of her illness causing her to fall behind in school? (31 Aug 2001)

4. In type 2 diabetes, what is glucose toxicity? How high does the blood sugar need to be? For how long does it need to stay high before it occurs? (31 Aug 2001)

5. I am 56 years old, have been overweight most of my life but very active in sports, and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about nine years ago. I have had no real problems until the last few months, but lately It seems that everything I do to lower my glucose level has no effect at all. What is going on? (31 Aug 2001)

6. Our four year old grandson, who has had type 1 diabetes since one year of age, has now also been diagnosed with celiac disease, and we are searching the Internet for information that covers the diet for a child with diabetes and celiac disease. Do you have any advice? Can you point us to some appropriate references? (31 Aug 2001)

7. My nine year old daughter had a two-hour after lunch blood sugar of 164 mg/dl [9.1 mmol/L] on a meter, had some ketones in her urine, and the doctor wants to do a first morning urine test. Is there any reason why ketones might be in her urine other than diabetes? Is it okay to keep using urine to test for diabetes? Should I ask for a glucose tolerance test on her? (31 Aug 2001)

8. When I first started taking insulin last year, my eyesight (which had deteriorated before I was diagnosed), came back to normal for a couple of weeks. I am again on insulin since last month and the same thing happened, but again only for a couple of weeks. After that, my eyesight began to deteriorate again. Can you please give me an explanation of why this is happening? (31 Aug 2001)

9. I have had an A1c and insulin level run on myself due to many low blood sugars. My A1c was 4.2% and my insulin levels was 4. How can this be with low blood sugars? My doctor said we need to watch this, but what could it mean? (31 Aug 2001)

10. Please share input on the emergency treatment of hypoglycemia in the school-aged child. (31 Aug 2001)

11. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five weeks ago, I had I have been on insulin since the diagnosis and feel that I am back in great health, but my hair is still falling out, although not quite as much. Will this ever stop? (31 Aug 2001)

12. When will Lantus be available in Australia? Can I get it in Hawaii? (31 Aug 2001)

13. My daughter's doctor wants discontinue the pump and start her on Lantus. How is the dosage determined? We are concerned about giving her a large amount of a new insulin (40 units) without knowing how the doctor came up with that number. (31 Aug 2001)

14. Warnings about the dangers of overheated insulin seem to be increasing. Is there any problem with injecting insulin right out of the refrigerator other than the possibility of increased discomfort? Warnings about the dangers of overheated insulin seem to be increasing. Why not just keep it refrigerated until injected, so long as pain isn't a problem? (30 Aug 2001)

15. I am 54 years old, I have been overweight all of my life, and I had an elevated insulin level following a glucose tolerance test, which my doctor says indicates I have "pre-diabetes". I am on medication, but have been given no other guidance except to exercise and eat a healthy diet. What am I looking at? (30 Aug 2001)

16. My 77 year old aunt, who has had diabetes for about six years, is scheduled for a dental filling and perhaps root canal work if the cavity is large, and her fasting blood sugar varies from 136-154 mg/dl [7.6-8.6 mmol/L]. I have several questions. (30 Aug 2001)

17. I have a nine month old daughter who is starting to eat table foods, and I am wondering about dairy products. I am breastfeeding her and do not plan on giving her cow's milk to drink until after the age 12 months. Because she had low blood sugar and jaundice at birth, we supplemented her with formula for about one and a half weeks, and I am worried that this little bit of formula greatly increased her risk for type 1 diabetes. (30 Aug 2001)

18. Six months ago, my then 16 month old grandson was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and, last week, his eight year old sister started showing symptoms and was diagnosed, even though she had had her blood sugar levels checked several times prior to this. How can this happen to both my grandchildren in such a short time? (30 Aug 2001)

19. Our nine year old daughter, diagnosed at 16 months, is profoundly deaf in her left ear. Both my husband and I are also hearing impaired, and we are trying to find the right pump for all of us. Our concern is that he won't be able to hear it when she is asleep. (30 Aug 2001)

20. My 13 year old daughter has had two episodes of severe dehydration with no apparent reason in the last six months, but all throughout this her blood sugar was a normal level, and she had no ketones. Because her doctor recommended it, she shows us her meter and needles when checking her blood sugar and is giving herself injections on a regular basis. Could stress be a factor? Could there be another reason she is becoming dehydrated so quickly? (30 Aug 2001)

21. What happens when liver function levels are high? (30 Aug 2001)

22. My step-daughter's four month infant recently had seizures and blood sugars of 13-15 mg/dl [0.7-0.8 mmol/L), and she is currently in ICU with numerous tests being performed. Currently, the doctors are looking at hyperinsulinemia and nesidioblastosis. What are the chances that she will be brain damaged? What is the treatment and outcome of this illness? Where can we find out more, in layman's terms? (30 Aug 2001)

23. Several issues have come up recently with teens in our clinic population regarding the use of alcohol, since more and more teens are drinking. The issue becomes even more worrisome with teens going off to college where alcohol intake seems to be part of the college "freedom from home ritual". How does alcohol intake affect blood sugars? (30 Aug 2001)

24. My doctor gave me a prescription for Lotensin. Last week my blood pressure was 132/80, and today it was 144/84. When I questioned him about prescribing the Lotensin, he said that it was a preventive measure to save my kidneys. From the blood and/or urine test that I took last week, he said that my kidneys were functioning fine. Have you heard of this kind of preventive therapy? (30 Aug 2001)

25. My daughter has type 1 diabetes, and is involved in many after-school activities, and wants to take Ginseng to increase her energy level, but I was told that this causes low blood sugars in people with diabetes. Is this a true side effect? (30 Aug 2001)

26. My three year old has type 1 diabetes, we recently visited his great-grandmother who has had type 2 for about 10 years, and, after the visit, I am very concerned with the type of care that she is getting. I need to know what I should realistically suggest be included as standard type 2 diabetes care. (30 Aug 2001)

27. I have two children (ages 12 and 16) with diabetes, and the county nurse (there is no school nurse) called me about their school plan. She told me that they will not give a glucagon injection to a child. This is not right -- It is in their 504 plan. Do they have to inject glucagon if they find my sons unconscious? (29 Aug 2001)

28. I have type 2 diabetes treated with diet and exercise, and my last A1c was 7.1%. From your experience, what is the longest time a person can control type 2 diabetes with exercise and diet alone? I know everyone is different, but just generally. (29 Aug 2001)

29. My doctor is not saying I have gestational diabetes, but she wants to keep an eye on me. I have been keeping track, and my fasting is usually 95-102 mg/dl [5.3-5.7 mmol/L], and my one-hour can go up to 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L], but it is back down to around 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] at two hours. Do you think I have gestational diabetes? (29 Aug 2001)

30. My son has always drunk a lot more and urinated a lot more but this summer my friend checked his blood sugar level which was 171mg/dl [9.5 mmol/L]. I am taking him to the doctor. What should I expect them to do? (29 Aug 2001)

31. I have been using an insulin pump for the last six years with the bent needle, and for the last last month, I have been experiencing bleeding around the needle. I have tried new sites and still have the same problem after about 12 hours. Can you advise as to what might be the cause? (29 Aug 2001)

32. Our five year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, has been on two injections a day of NPH and Humalog, but we are having difficulty with control, and this is all complicated by the fact that our son is a picky eater and his activity level is very variable. We were very interested when we heard about Lantus, but we have several questions. (29 Aug 2001)

33. My 12 1/2 year old son has twice the normal amount of of microalbumin in his urine and his physician has prescribed an ACE inhibitor. I have several questions. (29 Aug 2001)

34. My daughter has been on Lantus for eight weeks, and I'm finding she's peaking too much between 4-7 am. We have lowered her dose quite a bit, but then had to raise her Humalog dose to compensate for the high sugars. I really want this to work, but the severe lows in the early morning are frustrating. Any suggestions? (29 Aug 2001)

35. Our daughter plays competitive soccer, we've just switched from NPH and Regular to Humalog at meals time with Lantus at bed time, and we are having difficulty figuring out how to make adjustments for the heavy physical activity. (29 Aug 2001)

36. At a doctor's appointment two months ago, I was astonished at a 17 pound weight loss and my greatly decreased insulin requirements. I am tired all the time, feel cold, have intermittent diarrhea, and have a difficult time dosing correctly to avoid a hypo. All tests so far have been normal or negative, but I know something is wrong. What should be my next step? (29 Aug 2001)

37. I am 28 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for over 14 years now, and I have a strong family history of cardiovascular disease. I do not have any symptoms of heart disease, and my cholesterol and blood glucose levels have been well controlled, but all this has made me very concerned. Should I have some sort of test to see what condition I am in? (29 Aug 2001)

38. My 12 year old son, diagnosed at age 11 months, recently passed away, and although the autopsy report stated the cause of death as unknown, it did mention cerebral edema. I can't live with this knowing I could have done something. (28 Aug 2001)

39. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my A1c was 5.7%, and my most recent A1c was 4.4%. Does this low A1c mean I don't have diabetes? What A1c level is considered too low? (28 Aug 2001)

40. My two and half month old son weighed 9 pounds, 14 ounces at birth, and my 18 month old son weighed 7 pounds, 5 ounces. I did not have gestational diabetes, but I have a paternal grandmother who has type 2 diabetes. My oldest child is very hyper, and a friend told me he might have diabetes. Is it likely that I or my sons have or will develop diabetes? (28 Aug 2001)

41. My one week old daughter has been in the intensive care unit with blood sugar levels of 39-70 mg/dl [mmol/L] since birth. The doctors have been alternating each feeding between high calorie formula and my wife's breast milk (yielding the blood sugar levels noted above). The doctor seems to be hoping her levels will rise and stabilize. At what point do I begin to worry that it won't? Is there anything I should have my doctor look for? Is there some other test they can do? (28 Aug 2001)

42. My son will be entering the second grade and just got changed to doing a shot before lunch. He cannot do his own shots yet and will need help, but the school nurse is only there one day a week and has a helper as other times. Do they have to help him do his shots? Do I have to go to the school and give my son's shots until he learns to do them himself? (28 Aug 2001)

43. I have had type 1 diabetes for 28 years, my control is reasonable (last HbA1c was 7.4%), and except for more and more problems with recognizing hypoglycemia and some microalbuminuria, I am doing okay. However, recently I noticed that my heart rate at rest rarely goes below 90 (it used to be between 60 and 70). What is this? (28 Aug 2001)

44. I began having most of the symptoms of diabetes nine months ago and contacted a doctor who did an OGTT using a 100 gram glucose load. Is the 100 gram load right? How do you analyze these results? (28 Aug 2001)

45. My brother-in-law likes to work out. He goes through times without a diabetic reaction and seems to lose muscle mass, and then there are times when he is having reactions all the time (daily) and bulking up at the same time. Is this possible? Is it possible that his vanity is causing him to take more insulin than needed to bulk up? (28 Aug 2001)

46. I have type 2 diabetes, and I have had several bouts of neuralgia on my face and jaw and neck, and I am wondering if there is a connection. The best treatment so far a is hot water bottle. Have you any advice? (28 Aug 2001)

47. There is a 63 year old patient with type 1 diabetes for years and a hepatitis C infection, and the doctor advised her to use twice daily premixed insulin. However, with this regimen, she has hypoglycemia before breakfast and hyperglycemia afterward. What's your advice? (28 Aug 2001)

48. I am 15 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, and I have been smoking marijuana at mealtime for about three months, and when I smoke, I get great pains in my chest area and it's hard to talk. Is this because of the diabetes? (28 Aug 2001)

49. Sometimes my daughter's school bus ride can take more than 30 minutes, and I am concerned because she typically has her lows in the afternoon. Do we have the right to ask the school to change the bus route or should we just make other arrangements? (27 Aug 2001)

50. After any sport my daughter plays (soccer, swim, lacrosse), she is exhausted the next day and spends the whole day (sometimes two) on the couch. Why is this? How can we prevent it from happening? (27 Aug 2001)

51. My five year old son who will wake up sometimes extremely pale, and if I let him go back to sleep, we cannot wake him. I really need help or some ideas for guidance because this has been going on for three years. The doctors here don't want to run the glucose tolerance test on him because of his age. (27 Aug 2001)

52. My 20 month old great-granddaughter has always drunk lots of water, even when she nursed all the time. When I mentioned diabetes to her doctor, she sort of shrugged it off and the next doctor told my granddaughter that she was to young to have it. At what age do little ones get diabetes? (27 Aug 2001)

53. My 41 year brother, who had diabetes for 20 years, was in total denial of his disease and drank alcohol regularly rarely showed any signs of ill health until recently when he died alone at home from DKA. Could anything have been done to save him from this sad ending? (27 Aug 2001)

54. I am a senior citizen who has type 2 diabetes and is experiencing redness on my feet now. What should I expect? (27 Aug 2001)

55. A week ago, during a preemployment physical, I had glucose in my urine, and the doctor sent me to a clinic which would not see me because I did not have $30.00. I have had symptoms for some time that I just wrote off as getting old. After my physical I searched the net and found that all of my symptoms relate to diabetes. Now I am scared, and I do not know if a few weeks will cause more damage. Should I wait? Can I wait? (27 Aug 2001)

56. About 60-80% of my preprandial values are below 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L] and values above 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] are extremely rare. Despite that, my HbA1c is disappointing (mostly around 9-10%). Can anybody explain the apparent discrepancy between blood glucoses and HbA1c? (27 Aug 2001)

57. I am 33 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and my A1c level right now is in the high 7% range. I have been experiencing some mild chest pains (in the middle) with heart palpitations. My blood pressure today wasn't high, but it is higher than my BP normally is. With diabetes for this number of years what can I expect in the way of complications, especially heart trouble? (27 Aug 2001)

58. My son has overlapping activities and needs to eat in between, and his coach told me that my son would not play as long during games if he was late to practice and that they would not treat a low blood sugar. Does the Americans with Disabilities Act, or the 504 plan apply in after school organized sports situations? (27 Aug 2001)

59. Can low blood sugar cause a seizure? Can it also cause a coma? (27 Aug 2001)

60. I am a 48 year old who has gout, and now I have noticed that my toenails are starting to fall off. I have a strong family history of diabetes. Could I have diabetes? (27 Aug 2001)

61. This year the school district's special education coordinator says that there has been a new ruling/interpretation about 504 plans, and from now on children with diabetes will not be considered for 504 plans or IDEA protection. Where is she getting this information? Is it true? (26 Aug 2001)

62. I tested my nine year old son's blood sugars and had two readings at 9:30 pm of 7.4 and 6.6 mmol/L [133 and 118 mg/dl]. Is this normal or should I take him for tests? He is very tall for his age and does have extra weight which we are trying to bring down with exercise. (26 Aug 2001)

63. I read that Lantus cannot be mixed with Humalog or Regular. Does this mean that the Lantus and Humalog or Regular must be injected in two separate shots? Does it mean that the longevity of Lantus permits people with diabetes to take only one shot per day without any other insulin? (26 Aug 2001)

64. My 58 year old grandmother has type 2 diabetes, is taking no medications, and is not seeing a professional because she has no type of insurance. I'm worried about her because she's already had two heart attacks. Do you know of any clinics that would cover her? (26 Aug 2001)

65. What are the indicators of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of Infancy (PHHI) in a fetus? At 23 weeks gestation, what are the danger signals one should be looking for in an ultrasound? (26 Aug 2001)

66. I am an 18 year old with type 1 diabetes diagnosed two months ago, and I used to drink alcohol about once a month, but haven't since my release from the hospital. My sugar is now under good control, and I am leaving for college in two weeks. Could I safely have four beers at night? (26 Aug 2001)

67. I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years, and I am currently taking Humalog before meals with NPH at bedtime. Lantus seems an alternative to the four-shot regimen I am currently using. Would one shot of Lantus daily have the same effect as the four shots of Humulin and NPH I am taking at mealtime and bedtime? (26 Aug 2001)

68. My son starts pre-season twice-a-day football practice this week. We know he will need to make adjustments in insulin, check his blood sugar frequently, and possibly add more carbs. Are there any other things we should be doing pro-actively? (26 Aug 2001)

69. What is the name of the test is that can determine if your pancreas is producing insulin? The best I can recall is that there is a byproduct that is produced when the pancreas produces insulin (26 Aug 2001)

70. My 27 year old boyfriend has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 14 and is about to go on an insulin pump. I am a fairly well-educated partner, but I have several questions. (26 Aug 2001)

71. I have hypoglycemia and for the last month or so, my blood sugars are constantly out of control. Additionally, food just seems to sit in my stomach for extended hours. If I don't eat I'm fine, but not eating causes my blood sugar to drop to 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L], and then I pass out. Someone suggested that I may be insulin resistant until the food in my stomach gets to the liver. (26 Aug 2001)

72. My 13 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes about five years, and just this past year has not had good control. In the last month or so, her hair has been falling out. Should I be concerned? (26 Aug 2001)

73. My friend (who also has type 1 diabetes) contends that inulin (from artichokes and other vegetables) reduces the need for insulin. Has anyone out there more information? (25 Aug 2001)

74. I have had type 2 diabetes treated with Avandia for a year, and although this seems to be helping control my blood sugars, I am having severe pain in my extremities. How can I alleviate the constant pain without yet another drug? (25 Aug 2001)

75. I'm 16 years old, and I've have type 1 diabetes for seven years, and my six-month goal is to lose 20 pounds. I do exercise, when I can find the time! Is there something I can do to help me lose this weight? (25 Aug 2001)

76. My daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for four years and wears an insulin pump, is very active in sports, volleyball to be specific, and I was told she has to have a doctor's note that states she should be allowed to wear her pump during games and tournaments. (25 Aug 2001)

77. I have been taking Actos and Amaryl, and I am ready to become pregnant again so I went to the doctor yesterday, and started my insulin today. I should ovulate sometime in the next few days, and I am concerned because I took the last dose of my pills yesterday. Is it safe to get pregnant now? (25 Aug 2001)

78. I am presently six weeks pregnant, had gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy which required insulin, and my non-pregnant blood sugars are higher than normal. My doctor told me that the glucose tolerance test cannot be administered until 16 weeks. Is this so? If not, how early can the test be done? (25 Aug 2001)

79. My two sons, ages two and five, have been going through testing for years. The last test results showed a fasting glucose level of 55 mg/dl [3.1 mmol/L], a fasting urine with no glucose or protein present, but 15mg/dl of ketones, and a fasting insulin level test of less than 2. Why are the doctors having a hard time with this? (25 Aug 2001)

80. How will stem cells be implanted? (25 Aug 2001)

81. The news of concern lately is that if one has heart disease, HRT is not recommended. I have no heart problems and my friends are healthy folks who have type 1, but we know we are at high risk for heart problems. What about hormone replacement therapy for women with type 1 diabetes? (25 Aug 2001)

82. My friend truly believes that she is taking wonderful care of her son, but his past two A1c levels were a little over 13%, and you should see his arms! This mother believes that as long as he has not been hospitalized since his diagnosis that he is doing just fine. How do you tell someone who has a child with diabetes that she is hurting her child? (25 Aug 2001)

83. My friend's six year old son had a blood glucose reading of 167 mg/dl [9.3 mmol/L], and the doctors want to do a glucose tolerance test. However, my friend had been told that his son could fall into a diabetic coma during the test. Does this blood sugar mean the child has diabetes? How risky is the glucose tolerance test? (24 Aug 2001)

84. My two and a half year old son, diagnosed less than four months ago, has been having nightmares which I think are about getting a shot. Now he is more moody about checking his sugar too. Is this normal for his age? What can I do to help him conquer these nightmares? (24 Aug 2001)

85. I am worried about my 14 year old niece who weighs 250 pounds. What is the likelihood of her developing diabetes? What type of diet should I give her? Her mother wants to put her on a 1000 calorie diet which I think that is way too strict. (24 Aug 2001)

86. Why is a glucose tolerance test done with 75 grams of glucose and not another quantity? (24 Aug 2001)

87. My 10 year old son was diagnosed at age five, mom is getting very weary of doing everything, and my son is very unreliable. What counseling or educational opportunities might be available to help teach my son to take on more responsibility? (24 Aug 2001)

88. I am a 30 year old with type 1 diabetes for seven years. I have been on the birth control pill for the past four years, and I have had some issues with control, but no more so than when I was not on it. However, last week I started a new pack and my blood sugars went berserk. Have you ever heard of someone having an adverse reaction to birth control pills? (24 Aug 2001)

89. My five and a half year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years, has been having uncontrollable mood swings which we think are linked to cake, cookies, candy, etc. He does not have that much of it, but just one cookie can make him become uncontrollable, even though his blood sugar is normal. Is this normal behavior for a five year old? (24 Aug 2001)

90. I'm 56, have had type 2 diabetes for about two and a half years, and I have recently switched from premeal Prandin to twice daily Avandia. I have had a six to seven pound weight gain which I can't seem to get rid of. Any suggestions? (24 Aug 2001)

91. My blood sugars have been within normal ranges (pre and post meals) for the past three weeks with only diet and exercise. Does this sound like a honeymoon period? Is there anything else I should be doing or any other tests I should be having done? (24 Aug 2001)

92. My four year old son has developed lipoatrophy on his buttocks and thigh, and I am sure I have rotated properly. Could the combined insulin be the problem since it's not appearing on the arm (where he gets only one type of insulin)? Could it be the silicon in the syringe? (24 Aug 2001)

93. I have celiac syndrome, my husband has type 2 diabetes, and we have three sons with language/development delays, behavior problems, etc. Is there any possibility of fragile X in my sons from being linked to the celiac disease or diabetes? (23 Aug 2001)

94. I have spells during which I feel lightheaded, sweaty, and all shaky. Does this sound like diabetes or hypoglycemia? (23 Aug 2001)

95. My six year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago. Is there some kind of formula I can use that tells me if she is still in the honeymoon phase? (23 Aug 2001)

96. We are a home health agency and every year we have flu clinics. What is the protocol for teens ages 15-18 to receive flu serum? (23 Aug 2001)

97. I am 28 weeks pregnant, I had a glucose tolerance test a few days ago, and I have a lot of questions. (23 Aug 2001)

98. I have high blood sugar and sleep apnea. Can either of these cause or have anything to do with diabetes? I have been told that one has nothing to do with the other. (23 Aug 2001)

99. Would elevated potassium levels affect your glucose levels? (23 Aug 2001)

100. Why do people with diabetes get so thirsty? Do they risk becoming easily dehydrated? (23 Aug 2001)

101. I am not diagnosed with diabetes, but I bought a glucose monitor to see if I could find a pattern with my eating and glucose levels. I have only been doing it a few days, and I have found that when I go for more than 10 hours without eating my glucose levels are high. Today my fasting level was 122 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]. Is this significant (23 Aug 2001)

102. I switched to Lantus from NPH about three weeks ago, and within a couple of days, I began having really bad headaches on a daily basis about 30 minutes after waking up. Could this be somehow related to the switch, or just coincidence? (23 Aug 2001)

103. What is the role of the counselor on the medical team for insulin pump patients? (23 Aug 2001)

104. I am 33 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years and seven years ago, I had pre-eclampsia and a C-section, but no complications. Is it possible to have a natural delivery without surgery when you have diabetes? (23 Aug 2001)

105. My son's teacher has been forgetting to check his blood sugars before lunch, and he has in the past been sent to the teacher lounge by himself to be treated for low blood sugars. There is no full-time nurse. Someone told us that if we requested an assistant teacher, the school would have to provide one. Is this true? (22 Aug 2001)

106. I've been taking 75/25 mixed insulin along with Glucophage and Actos. I would like to get pregnant again soon, so I went to my endocrinologist who took me off the pills and replaced them with Lantus in addition to the mixed insulin. My concern is the effects of the Lantus on the fetus. Should I be concerned? (22 Aug 2001)

107. My 84 year old father has always worn support socks, but he is beginning to experience more difficulty with his feet discoloring. Do his socks promote circulation or would less fitted socks be better to promote circulation to his feet? (22 Aug 2001)

108. I am 29 years old and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, but I am beginning to suspect that I may have either a type 1 on a long honeymoon or type 1.5. Is there any way for me to find out exactly which type I am? (22 Aug 2001)

109. I heard that a child will get diabetes if the mother contracted German measles when she was pregnant. Is this so? How can I find out more on this? (22 Aug 2001)

110. My cousin's baby girl was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age three, and my aunt's sister (who was my mother) died of scleroderma. Could mother's scleroderma be the cause of my cousin' s daughter's diabetes? (22 Aug 2001)

111. My 21 month old son had some high blood sugars during an illness and was tested extensively for diabetes and celiac syndrome. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (22 Aug 2001)

112. My daughter has an inherited metabolic condition that diabetes is quite common in and has just started on a very small dose of insulin. Her doctors are still uncertain as to the type of diabetes she has and have even considered the possibility that her high blood glucose may be a result of a virus in her pancreas. I have several questions. (22 Aug 2001)

113. My three year old son was diagnosed with ketotic hypoglycemia at the age of 17 months. His pediatric endocrinologist has suggested that at times hypoglycemia presents itself before diabetes, and perhaps my son may not have ketotic hypoglycemia. (22 Aug 2001)

114. If I continue to exercise and eat right, will I get gestational diabetes with this pregnancy? Do you have some type of food plan you might suggest? (22 Aug 2001)

115. Will being pregnant and having diabetes cause more kidney damage because pregnancy is hard on anyone's body? (22 Aug 2001)

116. When my friend's daughter had a convulsion, the paramedics have checked her blood sugar level, and it has been 6.7 and 5.9 mmol/L [121 and106 mg/dl] another time. These levels are not low, and she has been lower and not convulsed My consultant has mentioned something about glucose around the brain. Can you enlighten my friend and her daughter on this? (22 Aug 2001)

117. I am 37 years old, 29 weeks pregnant, and I have just been told that my one-hour glucose test was "borderline". Now I have to do a three to four hour test. What should I do? (21 Aug 2001)

118. I had blood sugars of 32 mg/dl [1.8 mmol/L] and 41 mg/dl [2.3 mmol/L] on my grandmother's meter, and she told me I should go to the doctor. What is a normal range? Should I be concerned? (21 Aug 2001)

119. For the last two years, my four year old son has been waking with migraines which occur about every three months. He then gets less severe headaches over a period of days following the migraine. Someone suggested this could be hypoglycemia. Does it sound like it? (21 Aug 2001)

120. I find that each cup of coffee raises my blood sugar 35-50 mg/dl [1.9-2.7 mmol/L]. This rise in blood sugar happens whenever I drink coffee, be it morning or afternoon. Can you please tell me why this happens? (21 Aug 2001)

121. I am 53, female, newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my doctor has me on Starlix. My fasting blood sugar is now down to 127 mg/dl [7.1 mmol/L], but at 11:00 pm, it is around 209 mg/dl [11.6 mmol/L], after five hours of not eating. Should my sugar be that high? (21 Aug 2001)

122. I am a 53 year old overweight female newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and a year before this I was given steroids for a back problem. Could these drugs have caused me to develop diabetes? (21 Aug 2001)

123. I recently was told about the new insulin called Lantus. I am a little nervous to start my son on it because I feel it is too new to know of any serious side affects. What are the pros and cons of Lantus? (21 Aug 2001)

124. I'm 12 years old, I'm only about 4 feet, 10 inches tall, and most of the girls in my school are taller than me. How can I be taller? (21 Aug 2001)

125. I started using a meter to measure ketones for my two year old. I found that when the meter showed 0.0 to 0.6, the urine test strips showed moderate to large levels. Which test is most accurate? (21 Aug 2001)

126. My 15 year old son, who has diabetes, was recently diagnosed with glomerulonephritis, and we have been told to bring his A1c levels below 7%. How? (21 Aug 2001)

127. There will be a camp for children with diabetes. Can you give me ideas for some activities geared towards fostering self esteem in children with diabetes? (21 Aug 2001)

128. Do you know of any UK-based parent support groups or web support groups for nesidioblastosis? (21 Aug 2001)

129. I'm a 17 year old with type 1 diabetes, and I am currently taking lispro insulin before breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a long acting insulin before bed. Do I have to have breakfast in the morning (and insulin) as it's so fast acting it only really lasts for that meal? (20 Aug 2001)

130. I recently saw a man on television who has multiple sclerosis (MS) and doctors removed cells from his own body, washed them, and then returned them. After doing this, his MS is 90 percent better. Is there a chance that this same procedure could be done on people with type 1 diabetes? (20 Aug 2001)

131. What are the symptoms of lactic acidosis, a possible side effect of Glucophage? (20 Aug 2001)

132. Our insurance coverage is changing to a mandatory generic prescription plan. Is there a generic form of Humulin N? If not, do you have any suggestions on how to address this? (20 Aug 2001)

133. I am at a point where I soon must decide if we are going to invest in our daughter's future by saving the cord blood of both her aunts' babies. According to your website's advice, I infer it would be a waste of money, but I have read other seemingly well-informed positions that contradict that advice. How do I decide what to do? (20 Aug 2001)

134. I have type 2 diabetes, and I am on three medications in maximum dosages. About 18 months ago, my glycohemoglobin was 9.2% which is when the third pill was added. Since then, my glycohemoglobin has gradually come down to it's current level of 7.0%. I am very pleased about this, but I have put on 25 pounds. Any suggestions? (20 Aug 2001)

135. I have experienced lower blood sugar readings post moderate to stressful exercise of about 20 minutes duration. However, I see questions about increased blood sugar after exercise which you say are normal. Please clarify. (20 Aug 2001)

136. I was diagnosed with diabetes three and a half years ago. For the last two years or so, my hands and feet get really cold. Not just in the winter, even in warm weather they will feel cold. Could this have anything to do with my diabetes? (20 Aug 2001)

137. My son has type 1 diabetes, and recent lab results revealed a slightly low thyroid level. Currently, his doctor recommends no course of action other rechecking his thyroid in three months. What does this test result indicate? What are the potential implications? (20 Aug 2001)

138. I am starting insulin pump and have been using Lantus. What is your suggestion for stopping the Lantus prior to starting the actual insulin pump therapy? (20 Aug 2001)

139. Last week my wife, had a seizure because her sugars dropped. A week later, she had two more seizures on back to back days approximately six hours after her insulin dose, and we can't seem to figure out why. (20 Aug 2001)

140. My teenage son's doctor will not consider a pump because he is in poor control. What is your opinion on putting a teen who is in poor control (on three to four shots per day) on the pump? (20 Aug 2001)

141. I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years. Why three months ago did I have a leaky blood vessel in my eye when, for the past five years, my A1c's have all been under 7.2%? (15 Aug 2001)

142. I have type 1 diabetes and recently started taking Glucophage. Will that help increase my chances of conceiving? (15 Aug 2001)

143. During two hospital stays, an 84 year old had two elevated fasting blood sugars. She is several medications including HCTZ (12.5 mg every other day) which (so I have read) can raise glucose levels. If she stops the HCTZ, is it reasonable that we see a decrease in blood sugars or has some process been set into motion which cannot be stopped? (15 Aug 2001)

144. My 13 year old son has been complaining of headaches and always being thirsty. I have type 2 diabetes, and It runs on both my side of the family and his father's side. Recently. I tested his sugar with my meter and it was 131 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. Is it possible that he could have diabetes also? (15 Aug 2001)

145. I am a 42 year old female with type 2 diabetes who is participating in a study, and, as part of the protocol, I am not supposed to snack, but my glucose level is often less than 85 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L] at bedtime, and I go lower during the night. What do you think of all this? (15 Aug 2001)

146. My brother-in-law, who has diabetes since he was a child and does not take insulin, recently had a physical during which his urine glucose was greater than 2000, and he was advised to see a family physician. The problem is he still insists on maintaining the diabetes on his own. Should my brother-in-law seek immediate medical attention? (15 Aug 2001)

147. My 75 year old father-in-law has had type 2 diabetes for 25 years and takes 70/30 insulin each morning, but his blood sugars have been elevated at 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm. His daughter was told to give him 70/30 instead of Regular insulin to bring it down. Could you clear up this question, or tell us where we might can find help? (15 Aug 2001)

148. I went through an egg donation program. Have you heard of any situations im which where this can cause blood sugar problems? (15 Aug 2001)

149. We are planning to enroll our five year old daughter (who has had type 1 diabetes for a year and a half) in a private Spanish Immersion elementary school, and almost all the teachers are native speakers from outside the United States. Where can I might find educational materials in Spanish? (13 Aug 2001)

150. My five year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, has a terrible time having his A1c test done because our hospital only does testing by drawing blood from his vein. Are the home test kits for A1c reliable? (13 Aug 2001)

151. I am 38 years old, and have none of the risk factors mentioned for diabetes, but I have been extremely thirsty, and sugar was found in my urine. Could my extreme thirst and high sugar in my urine mean that I am hyperglycemic without having diabetes? (13 Aug 2001)

152. My son lives with his mother most of the time, and his last A1c was 5.9% which I'm told means he has had several lows. My son's doctor, who is not an endocrinologist, will not respond to my requests to take better care of my son, but my wife refuse to take my son to an endocrinologist. How can I influence my son's mother and doctor to take better care of my son? (13 Aug 2001)

153. My friend, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and thyroid problems, was gradually losing weight, and now, even though his thyroid levels are okay, he is still losing weight rapidly. He is treating himself with natural foods and has seen no results. I need some advice to help him gain weight. (13 Aug 2001)

154. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have begun the new diet, but the one thing I really miss is an occasional beer (or two or three) that I have with lunch or dinner, and I have read how to safely have a drink every now and then. How moderately can I drink if I keep my blood sugars in check? (13 Aug 2001)

155. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, but a doctor recently told me that I was probably misdiagnosed and that I have had type 2 diabetes. If it is, and I lost a lot of weight, is there a chance at all I could stop the shots? (13 Aug 2001)

156. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), but not diabetes, and I was tested for glucose resistance and found to have no abnormalities. Is there a difference between insulin resistance and glucose resistance? (13 Aug 2001)

157. My blood sugar control is generally very good (usually around 7 mmol/L [126 mg/dl] average), but I do infrequently experience inexplicably high and inexplicably low blood sugars. I am quite concerned about this since the extremely low blood sugars are generally early morning. Can you explain why these events may be happening? How can I prevent them? (13 Aug 2001)

158. My 30 year son who lost 25 pounds in three months and was was admitted to the hospital with a blood sugar of 650 mg/dl [16.1 mmol/L], seems to fit the profile for type 1, but his doctors are treating him for type 2 diabetes. Should my son insist on a referral to an endocrinologist? (13 Aug 2001)

159. My son, who has had type 1 diabetes for 18 months had a seizure. We did not give him glucagon as we were using the cake frosting. Should we have used the glucagon? Any thoughts to what we could have done differently to avoid this? What long term problems may he have from the seizure? (12 Aug 2001)

160. My sister-in-law, who lives with me and has type 2 diabetes, won't follow any kind of diet. She increases her insulin to offset her blood sugar. What will the constant increase of insulin do to her? (12 Aug 2001)

161. I have diabetes, and I had a injured a toenail. It does not hurt anymore, but the nail is firmly intact. Will the nail eventually fall off? Do I need to take any specific precautions to prevent infection? (12 Aug 2001)

162. I am 26 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight years ago, and I have been experiencing pains in my upper back and neck. Are there any complications of diabetes that might affect the spine? (12 Aug 2001)

163. The same doctors have told me I have hypoglycemia and diabetes. If I have hypoglycemia, how come my meter keeps reading my blood sugars between 121 and 173 mg/dl [6.7 and 9.6 mmol/L]? Do I have diabetes or hypoglycemia? What I should do? (12 Aug 2001)

164. What is insulin resistance? What glucose results would be indicative of insulin resistance? (12 Aug 2001)

165. My dad is on a mail order prescription plan, and for about three months, his insulin was so hot when it was delivered that it was hard to hold in your hand. The pharmacist at the mail order place said it was okay to use. Have you ever run across anything that explains what will happen to insulin if it is exposed to high temperatures (over 99 degrees)? (10 Aug 2001)

166. I am a 31year old who has type 1 diabetes, and I will be traveling to Moscow and Kazakhstan for a month. Do you have any information on hospitals or doctors in these areas or how I could go about finding out this information? (10 Aug 2001)

167. A recent article said that the long-term effects of frequent DKA can eventually be recognized in your physical appearance. How many DKA episodes do you need to have have to have to be in the "frequent" category? over how long a period of time? (10 Aug 2001)

168. I have recently been told that I have diabetes, I am taking an oral hypoglycemic agent, and I have had diarrhea for about a week. Could this be caused by my medicine? (10 Aug 2001)

169. Yesterday, I had a severe hypoglycemic episode for the first time. I passed out and had to be revived by paramedics. There is no logical explanation for this, and I am wondering about the insulin. (10 Aug 2001)

170. Is there a different value determined as hypoglycemic for a person with diabetes versus someone who doesn't have it? (10 Aug 2001)

171. I am a 15 year old who has been on a pump for about a year and a half and is some red spots from some of my infusion sets. They don't hurt, but are eye sores. Is there a way to make them go away? Is it okay to put another infusion set in the same place? (10 Aug 2001)

172. Do you know of any programs for Palm Pilots specifically for carb counting? It would greatly help my 12 year old son and us with carb counting (instead of lugging around a bunch of books). If there are any, please tell me how to locate them. (10 Aug 2001)

173. At the time my diabetes was discovered, I was very anemic. Could anemia affect the results of a glycosylated hemoglobin test? (10 Aug 2001)

174. Sometimes, after injecting my NPH, my blood sugar crashes. Are you aware of this phenomenon? (10 Aug 2001)

175. My 17 year old girlfriend, of South Indian origin, has some problems. I can not tell if her's might be caused by diabetes. If they might be, perhaps I can convince her to go to a doctor for a more specified diagnosis, but now she's just scared. (9 Aug 2001)

176. I have had elevated fasting blood sugars and an abnormal GTT, but since my HbA1c is 6.2%, my doctor said that I just needed to come back in a year or so for a recheck. Am I worrying needlessly about the fasting glucose number? Do I have diabetes? (9 Aug 2001)

177. My 10 year old son, just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five weeks ago, is only taking 6 units of NPH in the morning, and his range has been between 4-7 mmol/L [72-126 mg/dl] with few lows and few highs(up to 10 mmol/L [180 mg/dl]. Are we on the right track? Is there anything else that we can do to improve his blood glucose levels? (9 Aug 2001)

178. I am a middle aged women, recently diagnosed with diabetes, and my doctor told me not to use Neosporin ointment on my paper-cuts. Do you know why? (9 Aug 2001)

179. My mother has Alzheimer's Disease and diabetes, and because of her Alzheimer's, we let her eat sweets. I give her Regular insulin before she eats. I need to know how soon after she eats do I take her blood sugar. How often do I need to cover her? (9 Aug 2001)

180. My 22 month old son drinks a lot which of course causes him to urinate a lot. How do I tell whether or not he has diabetes? I am very confused because he is so very active. I am thinking that his frequent drinking is only because he is so active. Do I need to have him checked? (9 Aug 2001)

181. My 11 year old is on Medicaid, and we are now waiting for pump approval. Does my son need to be seeing the endocrinologist every three to four months, or how often? (9 Aug 2001)

182. I have type 2 diabetes, and my doctor has informed me that I have been controlling my diabetes quite well as evidenced by tests of 6.1%. I cannot remember what the normal range should be. Can you please enlighten me on this? (9 Aug 2001)

183. My son wants to go on the pump, but the National Health System does not support pump use. I located a private doctor who will manage my son on the pump, but his office is about a two hour trip, and our local doctor thinks it is unwise to go on the pump with the managing doctor being so far away. Should I reconsider? (9 Aug 2001)

184. I was told by a friend that people with diabetes can receive "VIP" passes so that they do not have to wait in line for rides at amusement parks. I don't know how I would feel about taking advantage of it (I don't see myself as disabled), but it is quite interesting. Is this true? How would you prove to them that you have diabetes? (8 Aug 2001)

185. I am a showgirl/entertainer, and I was recently suspended from my job because I had a bad sugar low at work. Now, my boss is saying I'm unable to do my job, even though I do my job better that 80% of the people in my show. Do you have any suggestions? (8 Aug 2001)

186. I am 67 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 53 years, and over the years I have had many low blood sugars. My memory is getting weak. I realize brain cells burn out during these lows. What can I do? (8 Aug 2001)

187. I have type 2 diabetes (treated with a pill), and I have three episodes of my left arm jerking uncontrollably in the last six weeks. Could these seizures have been caused by low sugar? (8 Aug 2001)

188. My son was easy to control with a premixed insulin for the first year, but for the last year, he has been waking up for the majority of mornings with sugar levels ranging from 10-20 mmol/L [180-360 mg/dl]. an you suggest anything? (8 Aug 2001)

189. I have been using Lantus in the morning while waiting to start pump therapy, but I am still having high blood sugars in the morning because of the dawn phenomenon. Should I take some Lente at bedtime for the early morning coverage? How much? (8 Aug 2001)

190. My 61 year old husband has had diabetes for 22 years and is on insulin and several other medications. Could these medicines affect his eyes? (8 Aug 2001)

191. My son has type 1 diabetes. What types of pumps are suitable -- and are they available on the NHS? (8 Aug 2001)

192. My 43 year old friend suffers from type 2 diabetes, is in prison, and the prison does not provide adequate care. Any suggestions that you have would be greatly appreciated, (8 Aug 2001)

193. I am 44 years old, have had diabetes for seven years, and I am thinking of going on an insulin pump. I am taking four or more shots per day, my A1c's have been high 8% range, and my blood sugars are usually good during the day but go high at night. What are your feelings about the pump? (8 Aug 2001)

194. I began having elevated blood glucose levels (on a meter) about two weeks ago. I have several questions. (8 Aug 2001)

195. I was born with hypoglycemia, and by the age of 10, I had grown out of it. The doctors said that my condition was idiopathic. Will I pass this on to my offspring? (8 Aug 2001)

196. My daughter has always had trouble getting through the night without going low. She is now trying Lantus, and she has a considerable drop over night. Why does she need to have her Lantus at night? It appears as Lantus does have some peak to it in the first six hours and giving it to her in the morning might help even things out. (7 Aug 2001)

197. I recently switched to one bedtime shot of Lantus plus Humalog at meals, and I am planning a trip from the East Coast of the USA to England on an overnight flight. On the return, the plane leaves in late morning and arrives in early afternoon. Do you have any thoughts on how to handle the timing of the Lantus injections? (7 Aug 2001)

198. Two years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes, and my problem is that my medical team still isn't sure what type of diabetes I have. Is my Gad65 result negative or what? (7 Aug 2001)

199. I am monitoring my blood sugar at home. Could a value of 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] be a result of sweets or exercise? (7 Aug 2001)

200. We understand that are two new types of insulins -- one is the inhaled one, and another one is Lantus. Can you provide more information to me? (7 Aug 2001)

201. Does anyone have a reliable method of preparation or administration of diluted insulin? (7 Aug 2001)

202. My friend has type 2 diabetes and recently finished a six week course of therapy for a fungal infection in her sinuses. How can I get more information on this disease? (7 Aug 2001)

203. Does altitude affect an opened bottle of insulin? (7 Aug 2001)

204. I am 24 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six years ago, and I am only taking about 8 units of insulin a day. Am I still in my honeymoon? (7 Aug 2001)

205. Why are people with type 1 diabetes prohibited from donating blood or bone marrow? (7 Aug 2001)

206. My boyfriend has had type 1 diabetes since age three, and I know he has tried to take good care of his blood sugars.How much longer can he expect to live with no complications? (6 Aug 2001)

207. Every time I have my period, I have severe cramps, and my blood sugar tends to run extremely high during that time. Could these severe cramps somehow be associated with my diabetes? (6 Aug 2001)

208. I'm 16 years old, have diabetes, and my goal this summer has been to try to gain at least 10 pounds before football season. What are some good foods to eat to achieve my goal ? (6 Aug 2001)

209. Are there detailed lists available for foods that show serving size and grams of carbs? (6 Aug 2001)

210. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. I recently visited the nephrologist, who said that during this past year, I have lost 40% of my kidney function so I am now on ACE Inhibitors. Have you heard of this degree of kidney loss in such a short time span? (6 Aug 2001)

211. There is no way I can work leaving my 20 month old daughter at a daycare. She would not have the proper care or attention she needs. I tried to get Supplemental Security Income, but was denied. What do I do? (6 Aug 2001)

212. I am a pharmacy student who was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When are "buccal and inhaled insulin" due to come onto the market? How much would they cost? How frequently would you have to administer them? What dose would you use? (6 Aug 2001)

213. I feel that my 10 year old son from an Asian family has type 1B diabetes. How important is it at this point of time to determine what type of diabetes my son has? (6 Aug 2001)

214. I had a strange experience after receiving a steroid shot in college. Can a steroid shot affect blood glucose? (6 Aug 2001)

215. My eight and a half year old, who has had type 1 diabetes for two and a half weeks, tends to have unexplained lows. One day her levels are good and then the next day even with less insulin she will be too low. (6 Aug 2001)

216. My 13 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for a little over a year and been on an insulin pump for eight months, had really good control for the first several months on the pump, but lately her control has not been good. She sometimes forgets to bolus for food, has been snacking, and gaining is weight. Is this a common problem? What should we do? (3 Aug 2001)

217. A month ago, my 14 year old son, who has type 1 diabetes for four years, had a seizure which could not conclusively be attributed to hypoglycemia, and my 10 year old son (who does not have diabetes) also recently had an unexplained seizure. Could there be a link? (3 Aug 2001)

218. My husband, who has diabetes, had a seizure at work, and when he got to the hospital his blood sugar was 82 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L] I thought this was a good number and that it the blood sugar had to be a lot lower or a lot higher to cause seizure. Am I wrong? (3 Aug 2001)

219. I am 33 years old, have type 2 diabetes treated with Glyformin, and I just realised that I have an unwanted pregnancy. My blood sugars are running 233-200 mg/dl [7.4-11.1 mmol/L]. Are there some insulin tablets I can take? Could my medication have affected the fetus? (3 Aug 2001)

220. I am 28 weeks pregnant, have been on bed rest for three weeks, and I recently had a slightly abnormal GTT. Can bed rest for three weeks prior to a GTT affect the results? (3 Aug 2001)

221. I have severe atrophy on my legs, causing "shelves" in my legs. Is there any way to persuade my insurance company into paying a portion of the liposuction? (3 Aug 2001)

222. What is a normal range for microalbumin in people with diabetes? (3 Aug 2001)

223. I am a 12 year old female with a long family history diabetes who has hypoglycemia, and in my view, all the symptoms of diabetes. My told me I am being overdramatic, there is nothing to worry about. She checked fasting sugar which was 128 mg/dl [mmol/L]. How can I convince my mom to take me to the doctor? (2 Aug 2001)

224. My husband has had type 2 diabetes for the six years, and is on a strong regimen of medication, but he still feels horrible and his average sugar this week was 297 mg/dl [16.5 mmol/L]. Can you please help? (2 Aug 2001)

225. Has technology advanced to where someone that is allergic to regular insulin can now use something that is synthetic? (2 Aug 2001)

226. My little girl has type 1 diabetes and wild mood swings. Are there any articles out there dedicated to the extreme mood swings of children with diabetes? (2 Aug 2001)

227. I am 31 years old, have had borderline diabetes since I was about 16, and after I ate a lot of sugar one night at a fair, I woke up in the night shaking uncontrollably. Could this have something to do with sugar? (2 Aug 2001)

228. I am a 35 year old who has type 1 diabetes for more than 20 years and is experiencing significant gastroparesis, but information about treatment of this condition on a real life basis is hard to come by. Do you know of any case management studies or resources? Are there any scientific trials or studies out there that I can take part in? (2 Aug 2001)

229. I have severe anorexia, and I am in the "refeeding stage" of my disease. After I eat a meal, primarily if it is carbohydrate-dense, I become extremely fatigued and thirsty, and I often become so tired that I have to go to bed and can sleep for hours. Could my symptoms be related to diabetes? (2 Aug 2001)

230. I have type 2 diabetes, am on a diabetes pil, and I also take several other medications. Do these medications help more than they harm? Are my fears about them correct? (2 Aug 2001)

231. I am 18 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over two years ago. About a month ago, I was in a car accident and lost a substantial amount of hearing in my ears. Before that, I was having ear infections extremely often. Could that have any connection to my diabetes? (1 Aug 2001)

232. My three year old daughter is on three injection needles a day, and we have a very difficult time when we give her a shot in her backside. What can we do? (1 Aug 2001)

233. My 10 year old son has shown symptoms of hypoglycemia, but his two hour glucose test was normal. I don't know if there are other tests that I can suggest to his doctor. Please advise. (1 Aug 2001)

234. My 69 year old father has type 2 diabetes and needs to take insulin, but he is afraid of injecting himself so he has asked me to do it for him and I don't know how. Please instruct me on how to do this. (1 Aug 2001)

235. My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week, and is trying to avoid taking medication. How long does it take for his blood sugar level to drop to normal levels if he is only being treated with diet and exercise? (1 Aug 2001)

236. My 67 year old grandmother, who has type 2 diabetes, has constant pain and was told that it was a symptom of her diabetes and associated with internal organ infections. Is this true? (1 Aug 2001)

237. My seven year son who has type 1 diabetes and is on Monotard and Actrapid twice a day, sometimes has hypoglycemia accompanied by vomiting. Is the vomiting due to hypoglycemia? A few doctors have recommended the use of Extendbar (available only in USA). Do you think it is appropriate? (1 Aug 2001)

238. You responded to a recent question that by giving NPH later in the evening at bedtime, nocturnal hypoglycemia would be eliminated as compared to giving the NPH at dinner time. Could you please elaborate on this? (1 Aug 2001)

239. My husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six years ago, and we want to have kids. How would this affect our children? (1 Aug 2001)

240. My son seems to be having sudden short seizures. Someone suggested that he might have diabetes. Can provide me with a list symptoms that I can use to evaluate my son's situation? (1 Aug 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts