From Santa Rita, Guam, USA:

My 69 year old father has type 2 diabetes and needs to take insulin, but he is afraid of injecting himself so he has asked me to do it for him, and I don't know how. Please instruct me on how to do this. I'm afraid that I will hurt him.

I really feel uncomfortable doing this via e-mail since the technique is so important. Is there any facility or clinic nearby that can help show you how to do this?

[Editor's comment: Any nurse can teach you and your father how to inject insulin. I would go with your father so both of you can learn proper technique together. Your father's reaction is quite normal, but with today's small needles and the use of proper technique, insulin injections are not too uncomfortable. It is important that your father learn to self-inject even if you do help him out in the beginning. SS]