From Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico:

My 10 year old son has shown symptoms of hypoglycemia. He develops headaches, dizziness, turns pale, and becomes bad tempered, if he has not eaten for a period longer than three hours. He knows that it will be fixed if he eats something. In school, he has been sent to the lunch room earlier because of this. I have taken him for a two hour glucose test, but it is normal. I don't know if there are other tests that I can suggest to his doctor. Please advise.

If his blood sugar is normal at the time of these symptoms, he does not have hypoglycemia. True hypoglycemia is actually quite rare in otherwise healthy people. Some children have dramatic symptoms similar to those you suggest that merely is reflective of hunger -- not a physical illness like hypoglycemia.

[Editor's comment: You might wish to purchase a home blood glucose monitor and check some blood sugars when your son is symptomatic. SS]