Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a 22 year old female, I have severe anorexia, and I am in the "refeeding stage" of my disease. After I eat a meal, primarily if it is carbohydrate-dense, I become extremely fatigued and thirsty, and I often become so tired that I have to go to bed and can sleep for hours. I don't think that the fatigue and thirst are related to the refeeding as I've been through the process before and have not experienced these symptoms. Conversely, I find that when I don't eat now, I become extremely dizzy and experience muscle tremors and loss of vision when I move.

My father and his entire family all have severe diabetes. My father has had the disease for over 20 years and has many complications (extensive nerve and eye damage -- he's almost completely blind -- kidney complications, etc.).

Could my symptoms be related to diabetes? Should I ask my primary care physician to do a diabetes test? I am very concerned that I will develop diabetes as it is rampant through my fathers' family.

Answer:

I think you should ask your primary care physician to conduct a diabetes test to eliminate this as a consideration and allow you to focus on complying with your treatment regimen for the eating disorder. Typeá1 diabetes does not always have to involve all generations. There is hope that you would not be affected by this disease.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.