Question:

From Southbury, Connecticut, USA:

I am 31 years old, have had borderline diabetes since I was about 16, I also have had gestational diabetes, and after I ate a lot of sugar one night at a fair, I woke up in the night shaking uncontrollably. I thought I was just getting sick, but I had no fever. After that, I got really hot and clammy. Could this have something to do with sugar? My mother and her sisters and father also have diabetes.

Answer:

My suggestion to you is to consult your physician and have an appropriate screening test for diabetes performed. There is no real definition of "borderline" diabetes. You either have diabetes or you do not have diabetes. The fact that the disease runs in your family and you have had gestational diabetes suggests you are at increased risk for the disease.

JS