Question:

From Cohoes, New York, USA:

My year old little girl was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago, and has wild mood swings. Everyone I talk to says that their children also have these wild mood swings, but no one knows of any research or books that are dedicated to the subject! The mood swings that these children experience warrant more attention. Are there any articles out there dedicated to the extreme mood swings of children with diabetes?

Answer:

The mood swings you describe can be a result of your daughter's sensitivity to changes in her blood sugars. You do not mention how large her glucose excursion range is, but the wider the range, the more likely it is that her blood sugars affect her mood. In addition, any preschooler who has to get shots and check blood sugars is apt to be annoyed/irritated by these intrusive tasks. Finally, preschoolers are rather clever in using unusual events to gain the undivided attention of their parents.

Is it possible that your daughter is picking up on your feelings about her diabetes and using it to her advantage? I encourage you to work closely with your diabetes team about your concerns. They can help you work on minimizing her excursion range, coping with the daily demands of the diabetes regimen, and any possible behavioral component as well.

JWB

[Editor's comment: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin is an excellent book which has a great deal of discussion about this issue. SS]

Posted to Behavior