From Kampala, Kasese, Uganda:

I am 33 years old, have type 2 diabetes.treated with Glyformin, and I just realised that I have an unwanted pregnancy. My blood sugars are running 233-200 mg/dl [7.4-11.1 mmol/L]. Are there some insulin tablets I can take? Could my medication have affected the fetus? I am really worried. Please send me a reply as I am in a remote area without doctors.

Currently insulin is taken as an injection. There is no pill form of insulin. I am not familiar with the brand name Glyformin, but I am assume that it is a combination of glyburide [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] and metformin. Metformin is not recommended in pregnancy. Glyburide is being used in pregnancy, but only after 24-28 weeks. If you continue the pregnancy, you will either have to be on a higher dose of oral medication or start insulin.

Posted to Family Planning