Question:

From Pontotoc, Mississippi, USA:

My 38 year old husband, who has had type 2 diabetes for two years, had a seizure at work, and when he got to the hospital his blood sugar was 82 mg/dl [4.6 mmol/L]. I thought this was a good number and that it the blood sugar had to be a lot lower or a lot higher to cause seizure. Am I wrong?

Answer:

It might have been that your husband's blood glucose was quite a bit lower when the seizure occurred and the liver released sugar in order to help him recover afterwards. Seizure susceptibility is very individual. Some patients do not have seizures when they have severe low blood glucose and some do.

In addition, it also important to rule out other neurological possibilities. Looking at the cause of the low blood glucose would be important. It would be important to know what his medication regimen is. Insulin and certain oral hypoglycemic agents can cause low blood sugars. When one feels differently, testing with the meter is critical. Frequent monitoring and regular contact with the healthcare provider can sometimes help prevent severe low blood sugars.Hopefully, your husband is receiving close medical follow up and evaluation of his diabetes regimen.

SH

[Editor's comment: If your husband's blood sugar fell very rapidly, this could also have caused the seizure. Blood glucose meters can sometimes be inaccurate in the low ranges, so it is important to make sure your husband's meter is working properly, See How often do you use control solution to check your blood test meter?. SS]