Question:

From Glasgow, Scotland:

A month ago (while on vacation in Florida), my 14 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for four years, had a seizure which could not conclusively be attributed to hypoglycemia (We gave him glucagon before the paramedics arrived,so his blood sugar was high), and my 10 year old son (who does not have diabetes) also recently had an unexplained seizure (though he did have a high temperature before it). Could there be a link?

Answer:

It is unlikely these two seizures are related, just an odd coincidence. Both sons should have an evaluation by their pediatricians and/or diabetology group, and should have EEG's done to evaluate the need for anticonvulsant medication.

First seizures in a 10 year old require a very detailed neurological evaluation including detailed search for a treatable cause (i.e., a CAT scan or MRI) scanning) in addition to the EEG.

In someone with type 1 diabetes, the issue is what was the cause so that it does not happen again with another hypoglycemic episode. In Florida, I would assume lots of extra and prolonged activity perhaps also combined with inadequate supper and/or bedtime snack caused this.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity