From Twin Lake, Michigan, USA:

There is no way I can work leaving my 20 month old daughter at a daycare. She would not have the proper care or attention she needs. Besides, I also have a three year old who has a eating disorder and has to be worked with also. I tried to get Supplemental Security Income, but was denied. What do I do?

I showed this question to one of our social workers, and the answer is that diabetes is not generally considered a disability unless there are complications. I don't think this story would fit that category.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Talk to your diabetes team, perhaps to the social worker who works with them. They may have some ideas for you.

[Editor's comment: In the beginning this does seem to be a scary proposition, but there are many children this age who have diabetes and do very well in a daycare situation. It's really a matter of properly educating the caregivers. Ask your daughter's diabetes team for references and help in the education process. SS]