Question:

I am 24 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six years ago, and I am only taking about 8 units of insulin a day. I can regulate my blood sugar and try to be not low. Am I still in my honeymoon? What should I do?

Answer:

The honeymoon lasts longer in young adults with type 1 diabetes (so-called Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood, or LADA), but still six years seems to be to me too long a time for someone with true type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes to be successfully treated with 8 units of insulin a day. This might happen in type 1B which is prevalent in Hispanic and Afro populations. Another hypothesis might be a form of Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young.

At any rate, if your hemoglobin A1c is less than 1% above the upper limit of normal, I'd let you to stick to your current therapy. If it's higher, then I'd ask your doctor to assess your residual endogenous endogenous insulin secretion and change your treatment as needed.

Posted to Honeymoon