Question:

From Simi Valley, California, USA:

I am 32 years old, my father died 18 years ago from complications of type 1 diabetes, and I don't think I have it, but I am monitoring my blood sugar at home because I had few high ones at my doctor's office. I eat very well lately (very little sugar except 2-3 pieces of fruit per day), but in general have been a sugar-holic prior to beginning to monitor. My blood sugar has been running 93-196 mg/dl [5.2-10.9 mmol/L]. About 26 hours before the 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] reading, I ate chocolates and chocolate ice cream. A few hours after, my blood sugar was 116 mg/dl [mmol/L], then fasting the next morning it was 99 mg/dl [mmol/L] so I figured I must have no real problem. That evening, one hour after dinner, my level was 196 mg/dl [mmol/L]. This was also about three hours after 4.6 miles/1.25 hours of brisk walking on the treadmill.

Do my values sound normal to you? Could the 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] be a result of the sweets I ate 26 hours earlier or the exercise I did three hours earlier? Also, that night after the 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L], I was having chills, and didn't feel great.

Answer:

The numbers are not dramatically high but are questionable. You need to go to your physician and have an appropriate test performed for the diagnosis of diabetes. I would suggest a fasting glucose or a 75g oral glucose tolerance test. These tests are more reproducible and have more sensitivity and specificity than a home blood sugar on a meter.