Question:

From San Clemente, California, USA:

My 22 month old son drinks a lot which of course causes him to urinate a lot. How do I tell whether or not he has diabetes? I am very confused because he is so very active. I am thinking that his frequent drinking is only because he is so active. Do I need to have him checked?

Answer:

It is unlikely that your son has diabetes if his only symptom is drinking a lot during warm weather. Indeed, that is likely a normal response to the heat. However, I would suggest you review our overview of the symptoms of diabetes here at Children with Diabetes to learn more.

If your son has any further symptoms, I would suggest reviewing them with his pediatrician.