Question:

From Stockholm, Sweden:

My 17 year old girlfriend, of South Indian origin, has problems with breathing, body ache, blurred vision, feeling of faintness and spinning head, and general weakness. She also has extremely low blood pressure (about 90/60). She also eats a lot of sugar, and I told her several times that she should cut down a little. I read that diabetes has nothing to do with how much sugar you eat, so I don't know what to think now.

My girlfriend is a bit scared of doctors, and I do not know where to turn. Even though I have briefly scanned your website for symptoms and so on, I can not tell if it' s possible that her symptoms can be caused by diabetes. If they might be, perhaps I can convince her to go to a doctor for a more specified diagnosis, but now she's just scared.

Answer:

Based on your girlfriend's symptoms and clinical findings you report, there is no relationship at all with any type of diabetes. I'd rather ask her doctor for further help (such as a referral to an endocrinologist to check her for adrenal underactivity).