From Virginia, USA:

I am 20 years old, I have type 1 diabetes, and three weeks ago, I had a injury which affected only the nail.The bottom half of the nail (with blood) eventually dried. It does not hurt anymore, but the nail is firmly intact. Will the nail eventually fall off? Do I need to take any specific precautions to prevent infection? If the nail does not fall off, would there be a likelihood of infection?

Whether or not the nail falls off depends on how much damage was done to the area at its base which nourishes it. Through the Internet, I am unable to determine whether it will fall off or not. However, if it does, be sure to watch it everyday. Prevent it from being suddenly torn off, causing a larger wound. Treat any break in the skin with lots of care, including daily observation, sterile dressing, and antibiotics (from your doctor if it begins to appear infected). If it does fall off, this is not a great health risk.

Posted to Aches and Pains