Question:

From Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA:

Almost 21 years ago (at the age of 10), I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, but after learning i was quite heavy just before being diagnosed, a doctor told me that I was probably misdiagnosed and that I have had type 2 diabetes (even at such a young age as ten). I explained that my maternal grandmother had type 2, and a few of my cousins have type 1. He still maintained that i was probably diagnosed incorrectly, but that it didn't matter now as I have been taking insulin far too long for it to make a difference. I'm wondering if this is really possible. If it is, and I lost a lot of weight, (I'm quite large to say the least), is there a chance at all I could stop the shots? I know it's a long shot; I'm not even sure I believe the doctor. In fact, I stopped seeing him shortly after that.

Answer:

The pathophysiology of diabetes is confusing. Although we talk about type 1 and type 2 diabetes as if there are strict and clear guidelines for their diagnoses, the reality is that we struggle in some individuals who don't follow a typical clinical course. You sound like you were awfully young to develop type 2 diabetes. Although this diagnosis is becoming more frequent in today's childhood diabetes clinics, it is not clear enough for you to stop insulin therapy. Rather, you need to see a physician familiar with these issues. Several blood tests can be performed which can clear these issues up. I would suggest you see one of them regarding this.

DTQ-20010805093704A