Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

My friend, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and thyroid problems, was gradually losing weight, and now even though his thyroid levels are okay, he is still losing weight rapidly. (He is almost skin and bones.) While he is eating quite well and does have cravings for sugars, he is fatigued and sleeps most of the time. He is treating himself with natural foods and has seen no results. I need some advice to help him gain weight. I am really afraid to see him deteriorate and he is adamant wanting to treat himself.

Answer:

I think you are right to be worried. If your friend continues to have a high blood sugar and is unable to make enough insulin on his own, he will continue to lose weight. Food that is eaten needs insulin to transfer it into our cells for storage. If he has high blood sugars, this indicates that he does not have enough insulin in his system to accomplish this transfer and he will just lose the calories and nutrients in his urine.

While natural foods are healthy for all people, it is not necessarily a successful treatment for type 2 diabetes. I hope your friend will seek medical help and get on some diabetes medications to bring the blood sugar down to safer levels. This will then help him to keep the calories he eats and put on some weight. It will also help him regain his strength and feel better.

I think he would also benefit from learning all that is new in diabetes care by meeting with a diabetes educator. If he does not know of one, he can call the American Association of diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4 for a listing in your area.

KS

[Editor's comment: I'm not so sure about the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in the situation as described. Perhaps your friend has Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood, which requires insulin therapy. In any case, he should see a physician for advice. WWQ]